We are collaborating between sectors and across the state to address substance use disorder (SUD) and opioid use disorder (OUD) in South Carolina’s rural communities.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 130 Americans die each day from an opioid overdose. The South Carolina Office of Rural Health is working to better understand the needs of rural communities in the midst of this crisis. In addition to addressing opioid use disorder (OUD) and substance use disorder (SUD) among rural residents, there is an increasing need to address the co-occurrence of HIV and Hepatitis C among persons who inject drugs. In September 2019, SCORH was awarded a three-year implementation grant through the federal Rural Communities Opioid Response Program (RCORP). RCORP brings together a consortium of partners to integrate behavioral health care, primary care, and the treatment of infectious diseases to decrease morbidity and mortality associated with SUD/OUD, HIV, and Hepatitis C.
Did you know?
SCORH and the SC RCORP consortium members are working together to implement both statewide and local approaches to prevention, treatment and recovery. This work involves:
- shared expertise
- collaboration between statewide and local consortia to avoid duplication of efforts
- a focus on solutions rather than barriers
- efforts to leverage opportunities for reimbursement to rural providers
- the expertise of SCORH’s Center for Practice Transformation to implement behavioral health into the primary care model
RCORP Consortium Members
- SCORH – Lead Applicant & Co-Chair
- South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services (SC DAODAS) – Co-Chair
- AccessHealth Lowcountry – Health Network for Uninsured – Beaufort, SC
- CareSouth Carolina – Federally Qualified Health Center & Ryan White Provider – Hartsville, SC
- Faces and Voices of Recovery in South Carolina (FAVOR SC) – Statewide Recovery Community Organization – Multiple locations in SC
- Shoreline Behavioral Health Services – Alcohol / Drug Treatment Provider – Conway, SC
- South Carolina Area Health Education Consortium – State Agency – Multiple locations in SC
- South Carolina Hepatitis C Telehealth Initiative – University / Technology – Columbia, SC
- Tidelands Health / Tidelands Gastroenterology – Hospital / Medical Provider – Georgetown, SC
- Tri-County Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Alcohol / Drug Treatment Provider – Orangeburg, SC
- Trinity Behavioral Care – Rural Alcohol / Drug Treatment Provider – Marion, SC
- Upper Midlands Rural Health Network – Rural Health Network – Lancaster, SC