CHOOSE WELL INITIATIVE
As one of South Carolina’s Choose Well partners, we help rural clinics integrate contraceptive access into primary care by providing contraceptive supplies, educational materials and staff training.
Choose Well is the largest statewide contraceptive access initiative working to reduce unintended pregnancies in South Carolina. This initiative began in 2017 and was originally supposed to be funded for four years. With support from various funders, it will continue through 2023. As one of 140 Choose Well partners, the South Carolina Office of Rural Health helps rural healthcare providers develop and implement comprehensive strategies for increasing contraceptive access. We ensure that rural practices offer a wide variety of FDA-approved contraceptive methods, and the educational materials and training needed to assess pregnancy intention and counsel on all methods. The goal is to empower women to make better-informed decisions during their visit and provide same-day contraceptive care, regardless of ability to pay.
Did you know?
Since the launch of the Choose Well program in 2017, unwanted births have decreased by 44%. (newmorning.org)
- Provide a stock of broad range FDA-approved contraceptive devices
- Train all staff with patient contact on quality family planning recommendations
- Train clinicians to insert and remove long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) methods and manage side effects
- Assess and improve clinical efficiency to support same-day contraceptive care
- Reduce the cost barrier by applying a variety of payment strategies and funding
- Provide revenue cycle enhancement and billing/coding education to ensure seamless and appropriate management