CHOOSE WELL INITIATIVE
As one of South Carolina’s Choose Well partners, we help rural clinics integrate contraceptive access into primary care by providing contraceptive supplies, educational materials and staff training.
Choose Well is a statewide initiative working to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies by 25 percent by 2022. As one of 150 Choose Well partners, The South Carolina Office of Rural Health helps rural healthcare providers develop and implement comprehensive strategies for increasing contraceptive access. We ensure that rural practices offer a wide variety of FDA-approved contraceptive methods, and the educational materials and training needed to assess pregnancy intention and counsel on all methods. The goal is to empower women to make better-informed decisions during their visit and provide same-day contraceptive care, regardless of ability to pay.
Did you know?
More than half of pregnancies in South Carolina are unintended, which represents an economic impact of $79 million a year. (ChooseWellSC.org)
- Provide a stock of broad range FDA-approved contraceptive devices
- Train all staff with patient contact on quality family planning recommendations
- Train clinicians to insert and remove long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) methods and manage side effects
- Assess and improve clinical efficiency to support same-day contraceptive care
- Reduce the cost barrier by applying a variety of payment strategies and funding
- Provide revenue cycle enhancement and billing/coding education to ensure seamless and appropriate management